UK Local Business Directory Listings
After setting up a new website for a local business, one of the first things you should be doing is getting some exposure. A great way to start is by adding your business to lots of online business directories. It is very easy yet fairly time consuming work, although well worth it in the end. Once set up, a lot of these sites allow users to submit reviews about your company, this too can be hugely important for your business. It helps to build Trust and Reputation amongst your potential customers and will generate more business.
Consider each and every directory you create a listing on as an opportunity to be found online. Keep the information relevant and of good quality and make sure to add links back to you website. There really is no point creating a blank or poorly maintained profile. Wherever possible submit pictures, videos, complete all the available information and sell yourself well.
OK, Let’s Get Organised:
Start by gathering all your content to create your business directory listings in a folder on your computer. Have this stuff in documents that you can use to simply copy and paste. As a minimum you will need:
- A write up about your business, try to include history and relevant qualifications and memberships of organisation details. Make a short version and a long version, may of these sites will ask for a short description to display as a preview in their listings.
- A list of keywords (used for search tags)
- Contact details, include as many as possible and also ensure you have to hand, links to your social media profile pages.
- Hours of business operation
- Payment methods you accept
- Your website address
- Some testimonials from your customers
Helpful Browser Tools
Filling out the same information again and again can get annoying, thankfully most browsers support autofill functionality. I have provided some links below to help you make sure you have it turned on or installed. It does save time, they work reasonably well.
Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237553
Safari: To maintain settings in Safari go to Preferences>Autocomplete
Right, Let’s Get Involved!
It’s a good idea to use a spreadsheet of all your business directory accounts and user credentials incase you want to update them in the future. You can also use the spreadsheet to remind you where you are upto in the list. Here is a ready made spreadsheet that you can use:
Download the List
The Ultimate UK Business Directory List