This software allows you to recover your windows product key, it is suitable for the following scenarios:
- Lost or damaged product key but a windows installation still exists on the machine.
- Works either if the machine boots / starts up or not
**Please note that this software will not work if there is no existing windows installation or there is a fundamental hardware problem preventing the machine from booting up.
If your machine still boots up OK:
Go to this link, download install and run the software: Click Here
Just run Belarc Advisor and wait while the initial analysis of your computer system is completed, a process that takes anywhere from several seconds to several minutes depending mostly on the speed of your computer.Once the analysis is complete, Belarc Advisor will open your default web browser and display a report, which it calls your Computer Profile Summary. This will list a whole load of information about your machine but the section you’re interested in is:
Software Licenses: List of product keys and serial numbers used to install the programs and operating system listed
Make a note of the product key for your windows operating system, it should be a load of characters seperated by dashes.
You may also want to write down or print all the details of any other sofware installed like microsoft office etc.After you have all those details you can go ahead with your re-installation.
If your machine does NOT boot up:
This method uses the Hirens Boot CD and an included utility from Nirsoft called Produkey which can retrieve Windows and also Office keys from a an offline Windows system.
**Please note: If you have already purchased a Windows restore disk guide, skip to step 3 as you have been provided with this software for FREE.
1. Download Hirens Boot CD and save to your desktop, when downloaded, right click on the zip file and select extract. You should now have another folder on your desktop containing the ISO (image) file.
2. Burn the ISO file to CD as described here
Alternatively you can purchase this item already burned to CD and posted to you same say first class post for £1.50 in our ebay shop here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Nikal-Systems
Its called: REPAIR & RECOVERY DISK WINDOWS XP, Vista, Windows 7 – LAPTOP/DESKTOP
3. Insert the CD, reboot the machine and it should boot into the Menu page, choose the Mini XP option and wait for the Windows desktop to load.
4. When Mini XP has booted up, click on the HBCD menu in the system tray and navigate to Passwords / Keys -> Product Keys -> ProduKey (Windows Key Viewer).
5. When Produkey loads press F9 to open the Select Source window. Click on the second option down “Load the product keys of external Windows installations from all disks currently plugged to your computer” and then click OK.
The Windows and Office keys will then be displayed for you to write down or save to a text file.
IMPORTANT: Make sure you write down both the product ID and product key
There are some other product key recovery tools on hires boot disc which also do the same job if this does not work for some reason.